Vegan Puerto Rican Chia Coquito
This recipe is from my book Live Love Light and Fruits which can be purchased here: http://a.co/d/3Xf1iiK
This is a perfect holiday drink to make for a party or family gathering.
When making this cocktail, you can add more rum to taste. I did! Refrigerate for at least an hour. It is best served very cold, but you can always include pretty ice cube shapes or ice chips. Garnish with shredded coconut and cinnamon.
1/2 tablespoon chia seeds
3 tablespoons water
1 (13.6-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
1 (13.6-ounce) can coconut cream
2 tablespoons maple syrup
7-10 large Medjool dates (depending on how
sweet you want it), pitted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup white rum (I use Bacardi)
1. Soak chia seeds in water.
2. Place the remaining ingredients except rum in a blender.
3. Add chia seeds (the chia seeds add thicker consistency and creamy texture).
4. Add rum and blend well. Enjoy!
• If you like your Coquito really spicy, use 1 teaspoon of each spice powder.
• If Coquito is too thick, add 1 cup coconut water or coconut milk (not from a can).
• For a holiday treat, add 1 cup pumpkin puree and/or a ripe persimmon.
• Pour mixture into popsicle molds and freeze to create refreshing treats for adults.